John Surtees is truly unique in motorsport. Riding for the celebrated MV Agusta team, he won seven World Championships between 1956 and 1960.
Then - with nothing left to prove - he made the transition from two wheels to four, winning the Formula One World Championship with Ferrari in 1964. To this day his feat of winning World Championships on two and four wheels remains unparalleled.
The versatile racer - who also drove for the Lotus, Cooper, Honda and BRM works teams - was equally at home in sports cars, winning the 1000km races at Nürburgring and Monza for Ferrari as well as the 1966 CanAm Championship in the Lola T70 he helped develop.
He also designed, built and raced his own Team Surtees single seaters in F1, F2 and F5000.During his remarkable racing career he won 290 of the 621 races he entered and claimed a further 103 podium finishes, recording 48 fastest laps and 100 record laps along the way.
John Surtees OBE will be 80 in February 2014
Riding for the celebrated MV Agusta team, he won seven World Championships and the Formula One World Championship with Ferrari in 1964.
Lola T70 Can-Am 1:18 by GMP
MV Agusta 1956 1:12, hand signed
Cased Ferrari 158 1:43, 1964, with driver
Through the Henry Surtees Foundation we want to:-
- Assist people with brain or physical injuries caused by accident to return to community living by the provision of support for equipment and facilities
- Provide education and training associated with motorsport-related programmes in technology, engineering, and road safety instruction for two and four wheels
- Act as a resource for young people up to the age of 18 by providing advice and assistance and organising programmes of physical, educational and other activities
- Advance young people in life by helping them to develop their skills, capacities and capabilities so that they can participate in society as independent, mature and responsible individuals
- Advance their education; and relieve unemployment.
These objectives also reflect my determination to make sure that what I have seen and learnt over the past 10½ years of living and working with Henry (and the other young people that were around them in motorsport) is put to good use.
To that end, the Foundation would like to give more young people from the community at large an opportunity to experience the emotion, disciplines and learning that the world of motorsport can offer.
John Surtees OBE
A series of six limited edition prints of some of the most iconic moments in motorsport are now available; the prints, taken from paintings by motorsport artist Michael Turner, have been specifically commissioned by John Surtees to depict highlights from his remarkable racing career. Only 50 copies of each of the six prints have been produced, all of which are numbered and hand signed by John Surtees and Michael Turner.